Spitfire Association Logo

FLTLT Raymond Eldon Bavinton 403895

Squadron/s609 SQN RAF
Rank On Discharge/Death Flight Lieutenant (FLTLT)
Mustering / SpecialisationPilot
Date of Enlistment31 Mar 1941
Date of Death26 Sep 1973
Contributing Author/sLynne Ryan (Daughter)
Compiled Vince Conant
The Spitfire Association

Bavo Bavinton's daughter, Lynne Ryan (nee Bavinton) has contributed a short story on her father, where she poignantly says, "Like so many of my generation, many of the stories our brave fathers who fought in WW 2 shared with their fellows have never been told. In my case I know this is because my father Ray Bavinton (often known as Bavo) never talked about this time in his life, and passed away far too early".

Raymond Eldon Bavinton from Granville NSW enlisted in the RAAF 31-3-1941, Service number 403895.

Ray started training at Temora NSW in May, 1941 at the age of 24, flying the De Havilland DH-82, the Tiger Moth, and Link Trainers. Basic training was completed on 21st July, 1941.

In 1940, about 120 Yale BT-9 trainer aircraft were surplus in California awaiting shipment to France, which had fallen, so North American asked the British Government if they were interested in them. The reply was positive, so designated as the "Yale", the aircraft were sent to Canada for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. By August 1940, Yales were flying with No.1 Service Flying Training School (SFTS) at Camp Borden, Ontario, where Ray started advanced training on 6th September, 1941. Quickly advancing to the better Harvard AT-6 in October, Ray completed another 100 hours in the Harvard, and also familiarisation with the Hurricane.

After Canadian Training, Ray spent some of February, 1942 in the UK, Blackpool and Bournemouth, before being posted to various RAF stations in Egypt. In April, 1942, Ray started more advanced training, flying numerous types until October, 1942, when he was posted to Norfolk, England, then Scotland, flying Hurricanes in both training and active roles.

In June, 1943, Ray was posted to 609 Squadron, then located in Kent, flying mostly Typhoons, a superb GA aircraft, but also Hurricanes in fighter mode. He stayed with 609 in England, from where he participated in the D-Day landings, providing GA support, then after the beachhead was secured, at B7, B35 and B53 in France and later in Belgium until December, 1944. He was then was transferred to 288 Squadron at Church Fenton, flying both Spitfires Marks V and IX and also Hurricanes, again in fighter configuration. He was Mentioned in Despatches in June, 1945 while still at Church Fenton.

During his time there he met a lady called Mary Seeney a hairdresser from Burnley, Lancashire at a dinner party in a friend's house. They only saw each 12 times before they were married 2/10/43. The friendship and camaraderie that Ray formed with two other fellow Australians during his time in England was to last as long as they lived and become part of the Bavinton family life. Ted Eagleton from Sydney and Reg Wellam from Newcastle, also married girls from the UK and returned with their war brides to Australia after they were discharged

Ray remained in England after the war and completed a Textile Manufacturing and Design course, this skill he brought back to his fathers textile mill in Granville, NSW, and a small family business that was to become known as Sylvan Towels.

Lyn said, "Mum would never take us into the city to watch the march. I think it was her way of ‘not talking' about those days because she lived through them and would recount stories of her helping to carry bodies after the bombings". We are very aware too that this is the case with many people who lived through this terrifying time in England's history.

Bavo Bavinton retired young in his early forties and moved to Davistown on the NSW Central Coast. He also suffered with an enlarged heart (eventually accepted as war related illnesses 6 months after he died) he suffered a massive heart attack and passed away on the 26 September 1973, 9 days after his 56th birthday.

We leave his much loved daughter Lyn to finish the tale, "Dad usually didn't return home on ANZAC Day until very late and very "happy". It was one day he wouldn't miss until ill health finally stopped him marching. When we finally owned a TV we would sit glued to it, waiting to see Dad. Now that I have been to Sydney and marched ever so proudly wearing his medals, I now understand how we could never find him amongst the crowd".

Thank you Lynne

Bav - looking to the future! Job Well Done and Thank You!

Gun camera film shows tracer ammunition from a Supermarine Spitfire Mark I of No. 609 Squadron RAF, flown by Flight Lieutenant J H G McArthur, hitting a Heinkel He III on its starboard quarter

609 Squadron crew

609 Squadron crew with mascot Billie (The goat)

Bav Bavinton front row: third from left

Learn more about the squadron/s in which Raymond served.

We do our very best to make sure the information in the stories we share is correct. These stories are maintained to show our respect for the pilots, ground crew, design engineers and all who were involved with the Spitfire. In many cases, the information has been collected from the personal interactions between our members and the pilots and crew featured, and on many occasions, this process happened much later in the veterans' lives. If you believe anything on our site is not historically accurate, we welcome the additional stories, records and photos needed to help us correct the record. We thank you for your understanding.